In 1971, the first liver transplant surgery from living donors was performed in India. But the success ratio was initially quite less. The year 1998 marked the beginning of the first successful liver transplant operation from the first deceased donor. Today, India has over 90 active liver transplant centres and performs 1800 liver transplants every year, with a high success rate of up to 90%. With rapid developments in medicine and surgical techniques, the number of operations and the success ratio is expected to improve in the coming years.
Reasons To Choose India As A Destination For Liver Transplants
- The liver transplantation procedure is less expensive when compared to similar procedures in developed countries worldwide. Although the liver transplant cost in India depends on the procedure, surgeon, medicines, lab tests, therapy, in-hospital stay, additional tests, etc, the total is less than that of foreign countries like the UK, Thailand, Turkey, Singapore, and the US. Patients who cannot afford the high costs of liver transplantation can get the procedure done in India due to their relatively low pricing and high success rate.
- Although liver transplant costs in India are less expensive, the doctors and surgeons do not compromise on the quality of the treatment. India has some of the best hospitals and experienced liver transplantation teams that conduct the surgery with comprehensive care and ensure successful operations at affordable costs. They provide better treatment than many other developed countries that charge high rates.
- The doctors perform the surgery using advanced technologies. These modern technologies derive more effective outcomes for liver transplant patients.
All these reasons make India one of the best destinations to opt for liver transplantation surgery. There are several reputed liver transplant centres all over India to choose from.
The reputed facilities offering liver transplants have a department that works dedicatedly to ensure success in liver transplant procedures. Whether the liver transplantation is being done due to genetic liver disorders, alcoholic cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary biliary sclerosis, hepatic adenoma, primary hepatocellular carcinoma, primary hepatocellular malignancies, cholangiocarcinoma, or hepatic failure caused from fulminant viral hepatitis, or hepatic thrombosis, the team at these reputed hospitals conduct the procedures with safety and utmost care.
Usually, the liver transplant department at reputed hospitals consists of the following doctors:
- Transplant Hepatologists and Gastroenterologists
- Diagnostic Radiologists
- Interventional Radiologists
- Clinical Microbiologists and Infectious Disease Specialists
- Transfusion Medicine Specialists
- Transplant Coordinators
- Clinical Psychologists
- Medical & Radiation Oncologist
- Clinical Nurses
- Specialised Nurses and Quality Control Staff
These doctors specialise in different fields and have experience managing hepato-biliary, gastrointestinal, and pancreatic diseases.
Reasons To Choose The Reputed Hospitals in India For Liver Transplants
- The doctors work 24*7 to address patients’ difficulties and monitor their condition before and after the operation.
- These hospitals conduct liver transplantations regularly. It means there team is well versed in the process.
- The doctors are trained to perform successful operations.
- The surgeons are skilled and tackle all types of surgeries.
- The doctors use their experience and advanced technology to treat the patient.
- The doctors use a fully automated system to reduce the risks.
- The hospital caters to patients’ needs at cost-effective pricing.
- They feature an isolated, ultra-clean, and ventilated dedicated liver ICU.
- The hospital provides priority services at any hour of the day.
- The doctor conducts a computed tomography scan of the abdomen/pelvis, magnetic resonance imaging of the abdomen/pelvis, ultrasound of abdomen/pelvis, colonoscopy, electrocardiogram/chest X-ray, dobutamine stress echocardiogram, mammogram or pap smear for women, and other blood tests before starting the operation.
All these reasons make Indiaappealing as a destination for liver transplantation. The combination of good quality treatment at effective prices makes India better than other countries for the surgery. Besides, India’s hospitals are reliable as they use modern techniques, state-of-the-art technologies, and years of experience while operating a patient. Additionally, they provide ambulatory and emergency services if and when required. Furthermore, the hospitals have a good infrastructure equipped with all basic medical facilities like the ones present in the foreign hospitals.
Patients suffering from liver-related issues must consider India for getting their surgery done at economical prices and with comparatively fewer post-surgery complications. Indian hospitals adhere to the global standards of medical services and have a proven track record of success. Hence many foreigners consider India to get liver transplantation done.