When you think of coastal paintings, chances are you’re picturing a beautiful, sandy beach with blue waves crashing against the shore. While this is certainly a popular subject for painters, there are many other ways to capture the beauty and serenity of coastal scenes. So grab your paints and brushes, and let’s get started!
Get started with the basic supplies
So, you want to create some coastal art? Whether you’re inspired by the ocean’s natural beauty or you want to create your own beach-themed décor, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a quick guide to getting started with the basic supplies you’ll need.
- Paint. Acrylic paint is a great option for coastal art because it dries quickly and can be easily cleaned up with water.
- Brushes. A variety of brush sizes and shapes will come in handy as you paint your coastal masterpiece.
- Canvas. Choose a canvas size that will fit the space you have available for your finished artwork.
- Other materials. You may also want to gather some other materials to use in your coastal art, such as shells, sand, and seaweed.
With these supplies on hand, you’re ready to start creating a coastal art gallery that will make your home or office feel like a beach retreat!
Paint the sky blue
The sky is one of the most important parts of any painting. It can be a beautiful addition to your artwork, or it can be a distraction. Either way, it’s important to know how to paint the sky correctly.
The first thing you need to do is decide what kind of sky you want to paint. Do you want a clear blue sky or a cloudy one? Once you’ve decided on that, you need to choose the right colors. For a clear blue sky, you’ll need to use a light blue color. For a cloudy sky, you’ll need to use a darker blue color.
Once you’ve chosen your colors, it’s time to start painting.
Add some clouds
Whether you’re adding clouds to a seascape or skyscape, they can really add depth and interest to your painting. Here’s a quick guide to adding clouds to your paintings.
- Decide where you want your clouds to be. Do you want them in the background or foreground? Do you want them scattered throughout the sky or concentrated in one area?
- Choose your colors. Clouds can be white, gray, blue, or even pink or orange. Think about the time of day and the lighting conditions when you’re choosing your colors.
- Start with a light color. It’s easier to add darker colors later if you need to.
- Use a soft brush to add your clouds. Start with large, soft strokes and then add smaller details.
- Add shadows and highlights. Shadows will make your clouds look more three-dimensional. Highlights will add interest and contrast.
- Step back and take a look at your painting. Are the clouds too light or too dark? Do they need more contrast? Make any adjustments that you think are necessary.
With a little practice, you’ll be able to add clouds to your paintings that look realistic and beautiful.
Paint the sea and sand
Are you ready to paint the sea and sand? Let’s start!
- First, choose your colors. For the sea, you’ll need a light blue or green, and for the sand, a light brown or beige.
- Next, decide on the composition of your painting. Will the sea be in the foreground or the background? How will the sand be arranged?
- Once you have your colors and composition planned, it’s time to start creating beach style wall art! Begin by adding the lightest color to your canvas, working in broad strokes. Then, add the next lightest color, and continue until you’ve reached the darkest shade.
Finally, add any final details, like shells or seaweed.
Finish up with details like waves, seagulls, and umbrellas
Beach scenes are not complete without a few key elements, like waves, seagulls, and umbrellas. Use light blue paint to create the look of waves crashing on the shore. Add some white paint to depict foamy water. Seagulls can be painted in various shades of gray. As for umbrellas, they can be any color you like! Just make sure to add some stripes for a realistic touch.
Hang your finished painting in a place where you can enjoy it every day!
Now that you’ve completed your masterpiece, it’s time to enjoy it! Hang your painting in a place where you can see it every day and appreciate all the hard work you put into it.
If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to try painting coastal scenes, we recommend giving this tutorial a try. With just a few simple steps, you’ll be on your way to creating beautiful coastal art in no time! Have you tried painting coastal scenes before? What tips would you add? Thanks for following our coastal painting supplies step-by-step guide. We hope you had as much